Monday, September 1, 2008

The Omnivore's Hundred

I stole this survey from How to Eat a Cupcake
but it originated in Very Good Taste.


From VGT:

Below is a list of 100 things that I think every good omnivore should have tried at least once in their life. The list includes fine food, strange food, everyday food and even some pretty bad food - but a good omnivore should really try it all. Don’t worry if you haven’t, mind you; neither have I, though I’ll be sure to work on it. Don’t worry if you don’t recognize everything in the hundred, either; Wikipedia has the answers.

Instructions
1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment at http://www.verygoodtaste.co.uk/ linking to your results.

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding- in Puerto Rico we call it Morcilla and we eat it during the Christmas Holidays
7. Cheese fondue - I'll eat anything with cheese!
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari - I went through a Calamari Fritti phase and would eat them almost everyday
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich - One of my favorite sandwiches.
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart - Ate one out of rebellion. My mom wouldn't let me eat street food because it is "unsanitary and dirty"
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream - Totally awesome!
21. Heirloom tomatoes - Best tomatoes ever.
22. Fresh wild berries - I would eat them in my Grandpa's farm. They used to grow wild, so I would spend hours looking for them.
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans - Typical puertorrican food. I've never liked them, I don't like many puertorrican dishes.
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche - Awesome, awesome!
28. Oysters
29. Baklava - I used to make this in Culinary school. Apparently nobody dared work with phillo dough, so I was always the one that would make it.
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl- Perfect for a cold day (which we don't get very often here)
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut - Love it on hot dogs
35. Root beer float - Better than regular Coke float.
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O - I've always wanted to try this.
39. Gumbo- Had it once or twice, can't wait to eat it again.
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel - Had in in tempura a few days ago.
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - I ate one a few minutes ago. I drive half an hour to buy them, but it's totally worth it.
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal - Haven't had one in a few years.
56. Spaetzle- I love to make these!!!
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores - I have addiction problems...
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake - churros... not too crazy about them.
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain- Are you kidding me? Totally puertorrican food! Tostones! everyone has to try them!!
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini- Culinary school, not a fan of those.
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict- There was a time I used to make this a lot, but I hate to make the Hollaindaise Sauce.
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers- There's a flower called "cruz de malta" (don't know it's name in english), when I was a kid me and my cousins used to suck the nectar from them.
89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam - Hate it. I remember a Catholic school I went to used to make them breaded and fried, nobody would eat them but my brother. eeeeww.
92. Soft shell crab- In tempura
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox - Bagel
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake

31 out of 100.. not bad!

No comments: